How to Apply
The Application Package must be submitted and postmarked by January 15.
Application for The Graduate School
Application Prerequisite / Eligibility:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (or international equivalent) is required.
A Complete Application for Admission Consists Of:
One copy of each of the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions attended.
- Three letters of recommendation. We prefer recommendations be submitted via your online application, but recommenders unable to submit that way may mail them to our office. Make sure they sign across the sealed envelope flap.
- A one-page single-spaced Statement of Purpose. Why this program now? What do you hope to learn?
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
In addition, please individually label and upload the following (into the section for Writing Sample) on the Online Application:
- A production sample that includes up to 10 minutes of material. You may submit either fictional or documentary work or a combination of the two. The material may comprise complete works or excerpts from one or more works — whatever gives us the best sense of your potential.
Upload your material to either Vimeo or YouTube and copy and paste the video URL into the document. Please make sure that your video is set to public or unlisted or alternatively, if you send a private link, make sure to provide the password. If you are submitting an interactive piece such as a game or website, and the work does not adhere to a linear model, we will play or view for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- A short (few sentences) written summary describing your sample material.
- A one-page single-spaced synopsis of a documentary or documentary-based project you would like to pursue while in the program. You will NOT be required to make this proposed documentary while at Northwestern.
- Critical Essay: Please answer one of the two following questions:
- Describe a documentary that employs narrative strategies or a narrative film that employs documentary strategies. Why or why not are the strategies appropriate for the work? Give specific examples to back up your argument. (500 words or less).
- Compare a narrative and a documentary film that are based upon the same person, incident, or issue. How does the meaning shift, and to what extent do you feel one treatment is more effective? (500 words or less).
For nonnative speakers: the TOEFL or IELTS (not less than two years old). The minimum score for the MFA is 600 paper / 250 computer / 100 Internet based for the TOEFL and 7.0 for the IELTS.
The MFA in Documentary Media does not require English language testing scores from those who have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution where the language of instruction is English.
Nonnative MFA applicants wishing to be considered for appointment as a teaching assistant must submit a minimum score of 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or 26 on the TOEFL speaking section, taken no more than two years before consideration for appointment. The TSE is not required for admission.
Note: The GRE is not required.
Portfolio materials will not be returned.
We look forward to receiving your application!
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-467-4696.